A vigil will be held
At Speaker’s Corner, the Esplanade, Penang
Sunday 20th May at 6PM
Join us and support the rights of migrant workers
Mey Sichan, a 24 year old Cambodian woman
came to Penang as a domestic worker and it cost her life; she died from
‘prolonged starvation’ weighing just 26kgs according to police reports. Her employers have been charged with her murder. As
they are brought to trial, appearing in court on June 7th, JUMP
condemns her murder and the climate of human rights abuse in Malaysia
that allows this to happen. We pass on our condolences to her family and friends.
We say never again!
Not in our name!
are about 250,000 domestic workers in Malaysia, primarily women, but
they are not treated with equal rights to other workers.
Domestic worker rights are also women’s rights.
‘Enough IS Enough’!
JUMP believes that the climate that allows abuse has to change or deaths such as Mey Sichan will continue to happen.
- A Independent inquiry into Mey’s death and the abuse & death of other Foreign domestic workers
- Foreign Domestic Workers (FDW) should be recognised as ‘workers’ under the Employment Act 1955
- FDWs should have an unassailable right to keep their passports and other legal documents
- Limits to working hours for domestic workers consistent with International norms
- A minimum of ‘one paid day off’ each week
- A Statutory minimum wage for domestic workers
- FDWs should have ‘rights of redress’ – the right to remain in Malaysia whilst disputes with employers are addressed
- FDWs should have fair access to medical care, decent shelter, adequate rest periods
- Foreign worker Agencies should have regular independent assessments and monitoring
- Domestic workers should have independent legal status from their employers
- Bill of Rights for Domestic workers
- Malaysia should sign ILO Domestic Worker convention and support its recommendations
| || |
No More DEATH!
No More ABUSE!
Contact JUMP (Northern Network for Migrants and Refugees)
Jumpsteering@gmail.com www.Jump-penang.org or find us on Facebook